The Friends of Radcliffe School Committee roles
Please find below a brief outline for each the roles required to re-launch The Friends of Radcliffe School.
The structure will consist of one chair, one vice chair, one secretary, one treasurer, two members of staff and six committee members.
If any of these interest you could you please write a letter expressing your interest and outlining in no more than two pages your suitability and vision.
Could we please ask that you address this letter to Mr. S. Truan who is the existing Secretary of the committee.
The deadline for receipt of the letters is Monday 16th April 2018.
The Chair provides leadership for the committee sets the agenda for meetings and manages meetings in line with the agenda.
The Chair should ensure that issues are properly debated and an agreement is reached. Some committee members will be better at expressing themselves than others; it is important that the chair welcomes contributions from all members of the committee so that everyone feels involved.
The Chair will ensure that all new members feel welcome and their contributions valued. The Chair will introduce them to the other members and encourage them to play an active part in the discussions at committee meetings.
To ensure the smooth running of meetings the Chair must remain impartial and make sure that all parties have a voice and the opportunity to participate in decision-making.
The Chair will work closely with the Treasurer and Secretary to ensure that the PTA is run effectively. As an Officer of the committee, the Chair will be one of designated signatories and will sign cheques on behalf of The Friends of The Radcliffe School along with other designated signatories.
To ensure that the business of The Friends of The Radcliffe School is conducted in accordance with the Terms of Reference of The Friends of The Radcliffe School, to uphold the constitution of The Friends of The Radcliffe School, and prepare and submit statutory reports to Regulatory Bodies.
- Provide leadership
- Sign the approved minutes of the last meeting
- Set the agenda for meetings
- Get to know members of the committee
- Run meetings in an efficient and timely manner ensuring that everyone is able to contribute
- Agree a date for the next meeting
- Welcome and involve new members
- Write the annual report in cooperation with the Secretary
- Sign cheques for the The Friends of The Radcliffe School with one other committee member
The support provided by the Vice-Chair is invaluable. Deputising for the Chairperson when necessary, the Vice-Chair helps to ensure that the Committee and all of the events continue to run smoothly. As with the Chair, leadership, enthusiasm and energy are necessary qualities for this post.
To support the Chair in all aspects of their role, to ensure that the business of The Friends of The Radcliffe School is conducted in accordance with the Terms of Reference of The Friends of The Radcliffe School and to uphold the constitution of The Friends of The Radcliffe School.
- To chair meeting in the absence of the Chair
- To draw up annual The Friends of The Radcliffe School programme in consultation with the Chair.
- To prepare meeting agendas by consulting with The Friends of The Radcliffe School Chair.
- To welcome and involve other parents into The Friends of The Radcliffe School.
- To lead parent and wider school community engagement in The Friends of The Radcliffe School (class representatives, use of local contacts and skills).
- To prepare with the Chair The Friends of The Radcliffe School annual report for the Annual General Meeting.
The Secretary ensures that The Friends of The Radcliffe School runs smoothly and provides a link between Committee Members and The Friends of The Radcliffe School, and between The Friends of The Radcliffe School and the School. This requires good organisational and communication skills and being able to stick to deadlines.
The Secretary is a key committee member as they are responsible for ensuring effective communication links between committee members and between The Friends of The Radcliffe School and the school.
The Secretary deals with all the correspondence that The Friends of The Radcliffe School receives and helps the Chair ensure that committee meetings run smoothly. Building up a good relationship with the school Secretary will help make sure that correspondence, sent to the school, is passed onto The Friends of The Radcliffe School promptly.
As well as dealing with correspondence, following a committee meeting, the Secretary will need to make bookings and other arrangements for events. Confirm arrangements made by telephone in writing (by letter or e-mail). The Secretary will make arrangements for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and help the Chair prepare the annual report. The Secretary may also be involved in co-signing cheques on behalf of The Friends of The Radcliffe School
- Deal with correspondence
- Arrange meetings
- Prepare and distribute agendas
- Take the minutes of meetings, type them up and distribute them
- Ensure that enough committee members are present to make the meeting quorate
- Sign cheques as required
- Write the annual report with the Chair
- Preparation and distribution of newsletters and other communications to parents
- Preparation of publicity flyers, posters, tickets, etc. for events
A key role for all committee members is to manage and control the funds The Friends of The Radcliffe School raises. Although all the committee members have equal responsibility for the control and management of The Friends of The Radcliffe School funds the Treasurer plays an important part in helping the committee carry out these duties properly.
To maintain up-to-date records of all The Friends of The Radcliffe School financial transactions
- Day-to-day management of accounts, including issuing bills and receipts on behalf of The Friends of The Radcliffe School and making payments.
- To prepare and update financial ledgers on a regular basis.
- To complete banking transactions on a regular basis.
- To organise floats for fundraising events, collect and reconcile monies raised at these events and report totals raised to the appropriate stakeholders. Money raised at school events will be locked in the school safe after the event.
- To prepare and report financial statements at The Friends of The Radcliffe School Meetings.
- To prepare a concise Financial Report for the Annual General Meeting.
- Charity registration and Gift Aid
Committee Members work alongside the Officers.
- Attends The Friends of The Radcliffe School meetings
- Gets involved in planning, owning and running events
- Runs smaller projects
- Encourages participation and enthusiasm for the events organized by the The Friends of The Radcliffe School
We want representation across all year groups. New parents to the school will be warmly welcomed.