Student page
Welcome to Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG)


Mrs Cain is our school careers adviser and is available for one to one careers appointments. Her office is based in sixth form. You can book an appointment with Mrs Cain either by emailing her at or coming along to the Wednesday careers drop in, which is held at lunchtime in Mrs Jones’ office. We also work closely with Worktree who provide opportunities, through their career workout programme, for you to meet employers and find out more about careers within the world of work.

During your Modern Britain curriculum sessions, you will discover more about how to apply for jobs, money, finance, careers and how to enhance your CV through volunteering and mentoring.

Whatever help you need, Mrs Cain is on hand to give you impartial advice and help you find your dream career.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is an apprenticeship?

In brief, an apprenticeship is a mix of on the job training and learning. You will be employed in a real job whilst studying for a formal qualification. Sometimes your training will be one day a week at a local college or sometimes the training may be for a block period, perhaps a week or two weeks at a time with a training provider, or the training may happen in the workplace. There are various types of qualifications you can gain, depending on the levels of the apprenticeship. You can start an apprenticeship any time after the end of year 11. You have to make an application and go for interviews, you will be competing against other applicants for the apprenticeship, just like a real job.

For more information on current apprenticeship opportunities see Mrs Cain or have a look here:

I want a particular career but my parents/carers would like me to do something else. What shall I do?

You will be surprised how many students ask this question. Always remember your parents/carers have already been in the workplace and have a lot of knowledge about employment. They only want the best for you. Sometimes it is hard when you want to do one thing and someone else thinks you should take a different career or route. Why not book an appointment to see Mrs Cain and ask your parents/carers if they would like to come too? Then you can all talk it through together. Ultimately, your career choices have to be what you want but you do have to think about it carefully and be well informed before you make a decision.

Have a look at this website for videos about different careers

icould icon.jpg

What is the minimum wage?

The minimum wage is the least amount of money an employer can offer you, depending on your age. The current figures for 2019 are here. Remember this is the least amount you can receive, an employer may offer you more.

table 1.png

What age can I get a part time job?

Young people can work part-time from the age of 13 but there are lots of rules surrounding this, particularly the amount of hours you can work. Once you turn 16 there are less rules. Because of the restrictions in employment for young people, many students do not look for part time work until they are 16. Until the end of year 11 you will need a work permit.

What is a CV and do I need one?

A CV (curriculum vitae) is quite simply a document that shows your qualifications, some useful information about your interests, the skills and qualities you have and a list of your work history. Yes, everyone should have a CV, as employers may well ask for it. It is easier to prepare one when you are still in school and add to it throughout your working life than try to do one when you are in your thirties when you cannot remember all the jobs or qualifications you have!

Mrs Cain has example CVs for you and she will send you a template and help you fill it in. Alternatively, this is also a good example of a cover letter and CV

Is it true that going to University is really expensive? I am worried I cannot afford it.

As it stands currently, there are two parts to paying for university. The first part is the tuition fee. All universities set their own tuition fees to a maximum of £9250 currently. There is a loan to cover this for all UK students, provided you fulfil the residency requirements. All students are entitled to 100% of this loan.

The second part is a loan for your living costs whilst you are at university. The amount you receive depends each year on the amount of income your parents receive. The higher the household income, the less you receive as a loan. However, everyone receives something, even if it is the lowest rate.

You do not start to pay back any of your loan until you finish your university course and are earning above £25,725 a year. The amount you pay back depends on how much you earn above the threshold.

For example:

If you earn £27,000 a year you will pay back approx. £9 per month
If you earn £35,000 a year you will pay back approx. £69 per month

Can I leave school at 16?

Yes, you can leave school at the end of Year 11, but due to the raising of the participation age to 18, you must be in some form of training or education until your 18th birthday. This could include further education in a sixth form, a college, apprenticeship or traineeship.

What is a gap year?

A gap year is when a student takes a break between their studies and higher education. This is usually at the end of year 13. There are lots of reasons to take a gap year. Some people want to travel, others want to get a year’s work experience and for some they just want to get some money in their bank account, by working for a year.

Useful links:


Impartial careers information

University and higher education advice


Local further education providers

Milton Keynes college

Northampton college

UTC Silverstone

Moulton college

Bedford college

Other useful websites

Careers videos and quiz

Gap year blogs and information

Careers advice, jobs and apprenticeships